PalmV (was Re: Palm IIIe price lowered)

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: PalmV (was Re: Palm IIIe price lowered)
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 15:48:10 -0600
>Yesterday (Monday, October 4th) 3Com lowered the MSRP for the Palm IIIe
>(the one I'd recommend for G-Cube use) was lowered to $179.  Not sure

Just a data point.  I used a Palm V this weekend.  I did 30 runs on a
test-n-tune on Friday over a ~4 hour period and left the Palm on between
runs.  I actually recorded 50 runs because I'd forgotten to change the
minimum run time up from the 5 seconds I was using while testing the
setup on my desk.  (Though I'm surprised that I pulled .3 G's on my way
to the starting line.)

This pretty much drained the battery.  I managed to get one run during
the competition on Saturday.  However, I missed my 2nd run because I
started to power the Palm on and off between runs.  When the record app
came back up it didn't automatically go back into autostart mode.  It'd
be nice if could retain the state that it was in if the PalmOS allows
that.  I missed my 3rd run, because the low battery dialog box came up
sometime during the run and seems to put the palm into a modal loop :(

On another note, it'd be nice if there was a way to download all your
runs without having to confirm each run.  Downloading 30+ runs was a bit
of a pain having to hit "download" on the palm and "ok" on the laptop
between each run.

On the positive side, I was dreading the "delete the run, have it
reappear" bug given that I had 50 runs.  Fortunately they all really
deleted on the first try.  Go figure.

Anyway on a normal weekend, the Palm V should have plenty of battery
life to get all your runs and download them to your laptop.  Of course
I'll not be caught without my charger again!

Todd