Re: [Roadsters] Starting Issue

To: <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Starting Issue
From: "E Scanlon" <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:53:41 -0800
I mentioned what he SHOULD have at the coil so he could ascertain if a wire
was missing or mis-connected, and not that a wire was crossed.

If the ONLY wire coming from the Ignition switch to the coil was the "ON"
circuit, then the coil would ONLY be energized when the key is in the ON
position and not in the START setting.  The "START" circuit has it's own
separate wire.  The ON connects through the resistor, the START does not.
This is inversely analogous to when the resistor wire is broken and the car
will fire on START but not stay running when the key is returned to the RUN
position.

The voltage is supposed to be 6-8V in the ON mode since it is supposed to go
THROUGH the resistor.  But in the "START" mode, the circuit is designed to
bypass the resistor in order to provide full voltage at spark and that would
be the whole 12V available from the battery.

The whole reason for reducing the voltage is to save the ignition points.

He's running a GB dizzy which means no points.

AFAIK running without the resistor shouldn't harm the GB dizzy or it's
module, and as long as the coil has been stepped up that shouldn't be
causing trouble either.

This setup is almost identical to what we run in the 240 Z's except that we
have the 78-79 ZX Dizzy/Coil as a ready drop in mod.

FWIW

http://www.team.net/archive