Re: [Roadsters] Starting Issue

To: "Bill Cole" <datrock@centurytel.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Starting Issue
From: "E Scanlon" <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:20:50 -0800
> Hi, I need some help on an electrical issue...snip
... Just recently the car started to have the start up
> problem, the engine cranks over but does not fire while the key is in the
> start position and once you release the key from the start position the
> engine will fire up.
...snip...everything worked fine until recently. I'm
> hoping that some how someone unhooked a wire then accidently hooked the
> "On" ignition wire to the ballast resistor instead of the "Start" wire, as
> to where its not getting the start up voltage it needs with the key in the
> start position.  Bill

I think you hit it on the head with your diagnosis, but unless your friend
or you admits to delving into the wiring under the dash, it's more likely
that the swap ocurred at the coil.

AT the coil, you should have both a Black/White with a Red band AND a
Black/White with a White band connected to the Positive terminal of the
coil.

The BW/W comes from the resistor, the BW/R comes from the ignition switch.
The other side of the resistor should have a plain BW wire that comes from
the ignition switch.

http://www.team.net/archive