RE: If you lit a match in my garage, you would blow it all to

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: If you lit a match in my garage, you would blow it all to
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:56:23 -0600
Matthew in Phoenix wrote:
 >Short story: I have gas spilling out of my front carb overflow pipe.

1. Definitely chuck the grose jets if you have them. The ones I
    got with my Ztherapy carbs had thread-burrs in 'em causing the
    balls to stick. I exchanged them, and they still never tuned
    right. I dropped some used stock jets in and they work great.

2. I wouldn't think the floats are bad on a pristine carb-set,
    but that'd be the 2nd thing to check. I'd definitely be
    suspicious with brass floats (ala '67's). Note that even plastic
    floats can go bad - I had one that swole(? is that a word?) up
    and was sticking in the bowl!

3. The FIRST thing I'd try is whenever you have gas overflow, tap
    the float lid with the handle/butt of a screwdriver -- my jets
    (usually one at a time) stick probably at least once a year due
    to crappy gas (no matter WHERE I get gas, no matter how often I
    change the filter). I got tired of taking the floats apart and
    not finding anything, and have since found that a couple of light
    whacks will free up whatever's in there. If that doesn't work,
    get a bigger screwdriver ;) .

If you STILL have a persistent problem, you might want to divulge
to us how long it's been since it was driven last; are 'we' cleaning
out varnish and rust out of the gas tank and fuel line? I don't
recall if the '67 1600 has a fuel vent valve back to the gas tank
(methinks not), but if it's plugged it could aggravate the problem
when hot.

 >  I have noticed that the fuel filter doesn't completely fill up
 > with fuel. Is this normal?),

Apparently. Mine's the same way.

dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co