Re: Dash rehab

To: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Dash rehab
From: <gerardomagana@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:26:59 -0700
Greg, There are a couple of ways that you can do this:
1.  You can send the dash face in to be powdercoated along with the console
face and shift plate.  They have a nice black wrinkle paint which is like
the original.  Cost on this method is about 125 to 150 dollars.

2.  You can buy two cans of Eastwood's wrinkle paint.  Lightly sand the face
so the paint has a good adhering surface.  After sanding then clean the face
with alcohol or a paint thinner to get any sanding residue off as well as
any grease grime etc.  Then set up the dash on a saw horse along with your
other items.  If possible paint in the full heat of the day.  You will need
to place a thick coat on and I really mean thick, don't worry if it looks
like the wrinkles are big they shrink with the heat, just be careful with
runs make sure you move that spray can around.  Another effective way I have
done this in the winter and it should certainly work in the summer is to use
a pair of 500 watt halogen lamps to shine directly down at close proximity
to the dash.  This in essence bakes the paint and causes it to shrink.  If
you do it this way let the dash cure for two days before handling it. It is
very important to let the dash get as hot as possible.  The cost by doing it
this way is approximately twenty dollars and it turns out very similar
results as powdercoating.  When you are done there is no need for a "clear"
coat as you have a nice new coat of wrinkle paint, and I can tell you
personally the result is awesome.  It makes all the difference in the world
once you put it back together.  Good luck with your project, I hope this
helps and if you have any other questions let me know.
Thanks, Gerardo Magana