Fw: DONATED ? prizes at Solvang

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: DONATED ? prizes at Solvang
From: <gerardomagana@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:30:39 -0700
Steve,  I would like to share some of my insight with you and with the list
in regards to this.  I want to share with you that the purchasing of gifts
 has been a common practice among clubs that put on shows here in
California.
 The money comes from the raffle prizes for these "gifts".  The Modesto
group
 has always purchased a set amount of gifts for the Shasta show from one
 Vendor at a discount price along with receiving donations from other
 Vendors.  Should we assume that this other Vendor also takes a business
like
 approach in his dealing with the Modesto group??  In my opinion NO,
 absolutely not.  Selling items at less than cost is a great way for a
Vendor
 to support our meets. Keep in mind that the reason we have these meets is
 get together for one thing and that is to enjoy each other's company.   The
 gifts are an added bonus to any meet that any vendor wishes to support.
The
 Fresno Club, who puts on a good show, is in no way different than the
 Modesto club in it's practices.  I feel the only difference this year was
 that they announced that they "purchased" some of the gifts.  It might be
 more proper for a club to purchase some gifts form each vendor, by doing
 that it would eliminate any ill feelings or suspicions that people would
get
 about a persons motive. I felt very fortunate to be able to donate some
 items for the raffle, and was pleased at the response that was given from
 people that won the item's I gave.  I even won one of my own items and had
 it re-raffled so that it would go to one of the meets participants. Keep in
 mind that there were vendors who did not donate. Perhaps we should look at
 those Vendors that do not support the meets by not donating any prizes at
 all??  Perhaps we should not support those people in their business.   Is
 there something dark and evil there??  I don't think so either, every one
 donates according to their means. There are a lot of politics involved with
 these vendors, sometimes more than you or I  care to know about.  I do see
 from the posts that Dean has responded that he may not support the clubs
 event next year.  If that is the case then the Fresno group will have to
 purchase the gifts from another source. Is there any vendor out there
 willing to sell that much stuff at that price, if so speak up, because the
 Fresno group might need it. When commentaries like this get posted they
only
 serve to divide our roadster group, let's all get along, Like Eric Frisbee
 says and it is one of my favorite quotes now " All the parts from different
 vendors get along on the roadster".  I do finally want to thank all the
 Vendors that donated prizes, I really truly enjoyed the show.  The quality
 of the cars coming to the show has tremendously improved from when I
started
 going to the shows and will continue to improve as long as we support each
 other.
 Thanks
 Gerardo Magana
 www.Fairladyparts.com