Re: DONATED ? prizes at Solvang

To: spettersen@sbcglobal.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DONATED ? prizes at Solvang
From: Tminerpcav@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 01:21:47 EDT
I too had a GREAT time at this year's event. I have to give a big hand to the
whole group that organize such a phenomenal weekend!

Hooking up with the people I've met a previous Solvang shows is a large part
of what of what I look forward to.  The Caravan up with the SoCal group was a
blast.  Thanks to those who organize that part.  Meeting those folks I've only
spoken with or heard of on the list is fun too.

A few HIGH points for me:

- Obviously, I was extremely grateful to place 1st in the 2000 low windshield
class, especially with all of the beautiful cars that were entered.  I don't
think anyone will ever see that many "choice" 67.5 2000 in one place ANYWHERE!

- The Mendenhal evening is always a special time and for those of you who
missed it, try to make it next year. PS Thank to the Griffin "boys" for chasing
down my heater valve leak.

- The Show was the coolest ever. What a turnout!

- Thanks to Mike Young for finding my totally clogged fuel filter prior to my
trip back on Sunday.  I'd surely not made it home with all that crap in
there. What the hell was that stuff?

- Thanks to Dave Almazon for the new spare fuel filter, he was a "life saver."

Now for some commentary regarding the "DONATION?" issue.

I too picked up on the DONATION announcement at the dinner / raffle.  Being a
small businessman, I have a real problem with the way Fairlady Products
attempted to garner favor with the entire Roadster community by appearing to be
SO
GENEROUS with his donation, while the other vendor gave for FREE items to
benefit the event.  Some of whom really couldn't afford the gesture, but gave
nonetheless.

I've also learned over the years, how Fairlady Products has gone through the
"back door" to purchase products from the prime source manufacturer which were
designed and developed by the other vendors who invested their time and
knowledge to create these products so that we all can keep our beloved cars
going
and looking great!

Now we do live in a free enterprise system, but why can't the ones with the
knowledge, creativity, and initiative capitalize on their efforts?  Is anybody
going to get rich designing and having products manufactured for car that
represent such a small niche of the aftermarket parts business? I don't think
so,
but they should be allowed to make a return on their investment without the
fear of being knocked off and run out of business.

Everyone enjoys the benefit of buying these specialty item "on sale," but I
think the moves to "back door" the special items and then undercut the prices
has a very dark underlying issue.

What happens when those vendor decide they've had enough, or worse can't stay
in business and leave the Roadster the community? Well, I'll tell you what
happens, prices will go up and there will be no more "free consultation" from
those who actually own, repair, correctly restore and have the passion for our
little cars. They just won't be there for us.  Walmart is great for prices, but
have you ever gotten any quality advise (I.E., service) from there.

-