Re: Remember your first time?

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Remember your first time?
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:03:26 -0600
> I was thinking about the first time I saw a roadster.

Sometime in '70, not long after we got married. I was driving along 303 in
Arlington (TX) and saw a used red 1600 at the Earl Hughes Datsun used lot.
We were living in the Riverside area of Ft. Worth (near downtown) and I was
driving to and from classes at NTSU, 35 miles north of FW in Denton. Even at
25 cents/gal the cost of feeding my '67 Impala was killing us.

I think the 1600 was a '67. I do remember it had the flat dash. It was fun
to drive and I WANTED it. For some reason though we couldn't put together
the money so I had to pass. Within a couple of months I ended up at Earl's
new car and we ended up trading in the Impala on a yellow '70 2000. Not long
after, Elayne was complaining to a friend at work because we couldn't get
the hardtop we wanted. Overhearing her comments another friend asked what
Datsun roadster, gave her a card with his contact info as president of the
Ft. Worth Sports Car Club and invited us to our first gimmick rally.

Maybe 6 months later we bought our first 510, and the rest, as they say, is
history.

Ron