Steering Gear Box

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Gear Box
From: "Fred Gilson" <gilsonf@onewest.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:12:50 -0700
To All,

A couple of questions regarding the steering gear box ...

After completing most of the restoration process on my early '67 SPL 311 and
taking for a few short trips around town, I am a bit concerned about the
steering.  I find that the steering seems much tighter when turning hard left
or right, but going straight down the road, I find myself correcting  quite
often to stay in a straight line.  The car was aligned and seems to hold that
alignment but there just seems to be alot of play in the wheel.  I have
tightened the adustment screw but the problem still exists.

1.  Is it possible that the worm gear is worn out?
2.  What might be the fix?  Replacement parts available?  Probably cost
prohibitive... (I do have another steering gear box I can pull off of my parts
car).
3.  Has anyone converted to rack and pinion?

Thanks!

Fred Gilson
Early '67
SPL-311