RE: Steering Gear Box

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering Gear Box
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:40:26 -0800
Yes, the early-style boxes tended to wear on-center. If you tighten it down to
where there is no on-center slop, you won't be able to turn it. The easiest
solution is to swap in a box that has less wear. Next-best solution is to
convert to the later-style box, but that can involve swabbing out the steering
column and some other things, depending on how you do it. Converting to
rack-and-pinion is by far the most difficult option.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA