RE: Roadster styling (was originality thread)

To: " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Roadster styling (was originality thread)
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:38:53 -0800
If you look at Hidehiro IIzuka's early stying sketches as reproduced in Phill
Brook's (excellent) book, it appears that the tailights and relatively flat rear
panel were part of the design from the very beginning. I think the taillights
have a rather jet-exhaust look, which was quite common in that era.

Of course, the panel isn't completely flat but rather has some interesting
contours, which I'm sure has caused no end of grief to less-than-knowledgeable
body men.

By 1969 Triumph had picked up the flat rear panel idea in the Michelotti/Karmann
designed TR6, which I always thought looked great. In fact, at one time I
painted the rear panel on my roadster flat black like the Triumph (partly to
hide corrosion).

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA