Re: Piston sources for Z car

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piston sources for Z car
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:05:17 -0700
Actually you shave *dished* pistons to make them flat tops, then use the longer
rods and it works just fine. The #25 510 Trans Am car at Les' show the other day
has an L18 engine in it I built just that way. But Gordon is dead right about
shaving that much off a flat top piston, it would most likely create table art
rather than an engine. :-)

Marc Sayer

Gordon Glasgow wrote:
.

> Longer rods will (in theory) give a broader power band, because the pistons
>stay
> in the vicinity of TDC a little longer, allowing more time for cylinder
> pressures to build. Most engine builders say you'll never feel the difference
>in
> a street motor. And I'd be very reluctant to shave a tenth of an inch off the
> top of a piston. Check the thickness of the piston crown first. Usually going
> longer rods involves getting custom pistons with the piston pin hole set
>higher
> in the piston.

///
///