Piston sources for Z car

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Piston sources for Z car
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:04:28 -0400
Ok, I know it's not a roadster topic, but I trust you guys and I need some
advice.  I'm trying to gather all the parts for my Z motor and I cast
flat-top pistons. So far the biggest I can find are 0.04" overbore over the
stock 86mm.  I'd like to go to 88mm but it ain't critical. It'll be a high
compression motor when its done, about 10:1, through a combo of increased
bore and shaved P79 head.

Any suggestions from you die-hard motorheads out there for companies that
sell good cast pistons? Are there sources for Nissan cast flat-tops in 87
or 88mm bore?

A guy on the Z forum says he's got 86.75mm cast flat tops for $42 apiece
plus shipping. Good deal? (He says 86.75mm is the same as 0.04" overbore
from stock, but my dictionary says 0.04" = 1.016mm?)

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Alex in Virginia

P.S. I've also got both the stock 280 connecting rods, as well as the 2.6mm
longer 240 connecting rods (the good 9mm ones).  I'm told that I'll have
more torque with the 280 rods, but the longer rods will give me better rev
characteristics.  Any thoughts on which ones I should use? If I go with the
240 rods, I'll have to shave the flat top pistons 2.5mm.

///
///