RE: Piston sources for Z car

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Piston sources for Z car
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:43:43 -0700
Your dictionary is correct, Alex. 86.75 mm would be a .030" over piston. I don't
know what the cylinder wall thickness is on a 240-Z but I'd check it carefully
before going to 88 mm.

Check with a quality machine shop for sources of cast pistons. Most
high-performance pistons are forged, which usually require much wider
clearances, but a lot of the newer forged pistons will work with tighter
clearances than before. And if you have them coated with a thermal barrier, you
might be able to squeeze it down another thousandth.

Longer rods will (in theory) give a broader power band, because the pistons stay
in the vicinity of TDC a little longer, allowing more time for cylinder
pressures to build. Most engine builders say you'll never feel the difference in
a street motor. And I'd be very reluctant to shave a tenth of an inch off the
top of a piston. Check the thickness of the piston crown first. Usually going to
longer rods involves getting custom pistons with the piston pin hole set higher
in the piston.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA

///