Re: Piston sources for Z car

To: <aavery@rica.net>
Subject: Re: Piston sources for Z car
From: Sexmnypwr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:15:04 EDT
  Alex,

  Do a little research on the zhome.com site for the 3L builds.  I've built a
3.1L L28 (F54 turbo block) for my 240Z.  I used the KA24 cast pistons (89mm)
from the 240SX/Trucks. It has a pretty big dish on top, but I didn't want to be
buying 92 octane all the time for a daily driver. I paid $36/ea for them from
ITM (a parts "re-packager" so who knows who made them).  I got them from Bap
Geon Import Auto Parts
3817 Sepulveda Blvd. Culver City, CA. 90230
(310) 391-6371
You would probably be more interested in the Z24 pistons(89mm) they are
flat-tops (I think), or have minimal dish on top. Check the Z24 for piston
height with your 240Z 9mm rods.
  As for reliability of cast pistons, initially I was worried about that one
too (but was too cheap to spend $165/ea for JE forged pistons).  So far after 4
years of some pretty heavy driving they've held up fine.  I would suggest
spending a little extra money for the Total Seal rings (gapless).  I really do
think they are a big reason I've held up such good compression over the years.
  Good luck with your build Alex!

  Stan Wada

///
///