Re: non tech. lightning question

To: The Belgian Roadster <chriss@euregio.net>
Subject: Re: non tech. lightning question
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 08:48:35 -0500
Good Morning Chris,

Here in the USA we call those front marker lights:
"parking lights" which is not the same as a German
"park light".

The literature here in the USA uses the term "city
light" meaning a small bulb within the headlight.
Since they are not common to the USA at all, I wonder
if "city light" is the English term.

"Headlights" are the large 7" lights. "Parking lights"
are usually orange (clear in Europe & Japan) and combined
with the turn signals.

I noticed a source of the 7" Cibie lamps are available
again here in the USA, with or without "city lights".
http://www.ipdusa.com  is the seller (IPD is a long
time Volvo aftermarket supplier). Those lights are
technically verboten on passenger vehicles, but
are allowed as "Motorcycle or Off Road Use only".

There were a set of BOBI Cibie 7" lights that were
certified by the DOT. They had a glass bubble inside
the lamp, to prevent corrosion of the reflector, alas
the pattern didn't have the sharp European cutoff that
I preferred. For a roadster I always recommend using
Hella or Cibie H4 headlights, helps make us a little
more visible at night.

For the '69 & '70 roadsters, only problem was the headlight
was "reversed wire" as power was supplied to the ground
terminal of the lamp, and "LO" or "HI" was selected by
grounding the appropriate terminal. No a problem with
a Glass backed headlight (like a normal sealed beam).
With a H4 Headlight, they have a metal back to them.
Usually there is enough shellac of the metal to prevent
shorting of the metal to the vehicle ground, but after
time you get a metal to metal connection, and either
blown fuses, or headlights that seem to not want to turn
off! A little electrical tape against the three prongs
will prevent that (retainer ring goes up against the glass
lens, so it is not a problem).

"Driving lights" or "fog lights" would be an add on
light to the front of the car.

Hmm, too much of my French Roast coffee (Another habit
I picked up living in Europe: Dark coffee!) and I just
transformed your non-tech question into a tech reply.
Oh well.

Cheers,

Tom Walter

The Belgian Roadster wrote:

> Hi friends,
> The  front roadster lights are called "park light". Is this what these
> days is called "driving light" (not low or high beam)?
> Driving light is what I get by pulling the lightning knob in the dash
> 1 time!
> I'm asking this, because I want to be sure that "park light" is not
> the same as "parking light". You know, like most of german cars. You
> put your flasher left or right and tail lamp as well as driving light
> keeps on burning when you pull the key. It's very usefull if you leave
> your car parked next to dark roads.
> Chris-The Belgian Roadster
> http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1424148&a=10670695&f=0
>
> ///