Re: Starter R/R

To: "Daniel T. Heinze" <dth104@email.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Starter R/R
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:31:56 -0700
It was asked:
> Any suggestions on what's the best way to get at the starter on a 2000 for
> removal / replacement?

YMMV!
Jack up the left front corner enough to pull the wheel. Block the car
for safety, of course. Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.
Using a proper socket (12mm or half inch as I recall, but check) with
a universal joint and two 1 foot extensions, go horizontally under the
carbs to disconnect the heavy wires from the solenoid. You can reach
in between the frame (from the wheelwell) to guide the socket. Pull the
spade lug too.

Swap to a socket for the mounting bolts - 14mm on my '69 as I recall.
using the universal, a 1 foot and a 6 inch extension, go at an angle from
the top to get the top bolt out. Then from underneath go after the lower
bolt. NOTE: Hold the starter in place at this point, you do not want the
weight of the unit suspended on the lower flange if you can help it.

With both bolts out, stick yourself in the wheel well and pull the starter
straight forward (towards the front of the car). Now wiggle and turn the
starter to put its rear into the triangular opening between the frame. Turn
it so that the solenoid is towards the rear of the car - so you have the
large diameter of the starter towards the larger front of the triangular
opening. You can now pull the starter most of the way thru. It will
catch on the mounting ears at this point.Turn and wiggle the starter,
you can 'roll' it out at an angle, where one ear is rotated into the opening
and then you can slide it the rest of the way out.

It's easier to do than it is to explain.

Note: My car doesn't have the metal 'plate' that earlier cars have. The
above technique works on my '68 and '69, it may not work on yours :-)

-- John

///
///