Re: Starter R/R

To: sandhoff@csus.edu, dth104@email.psu.edu
Subject: Re: Starter R/R
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:12:54 EDT
I recommend cutting out the metal triangular plate, I think it at most keeps
dirt off, and if that is all it does it can be glued back on after R/R.  With
it on in an early, its impossible to remove the starter w/o taking off the
headers.

Gary C

In a message dated 9/27/01 12:33:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sandhoff@csus.edu writes:

> It was asked:
> > Any suggestions on what's the best way to get at the starter on a 2000 for
> > removal / replacement?
>
> YMMV!
> Jack up the left front corner enough to pull the wheel. Block the car
> for safety, of course. Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.
> Using a proper socket (12mm or half inch as I recall, but check) with
> a universal joint and two 1 foot extensions, go horizontally under the
> carbs to disconnect the heavy wires from the solenoid. You can reach
> in between the frame (from the wheelwell) to guide the socket. Pull the
> spade lug too.
>
> Swap to a socket for the mounting bolts - 14mm on my '69 as I recall.
> using the universal, a 1 foot and a 6 inch extension, go at an angle from
> the top to get the top bolt out. Then from underneath go after the lower
> bolt. NOTE: Hold the starter in place at this point, you do not want the
> weight of the unit suspended on the lower flange if you can help it.
>
> With both bolts out, stick yourself in the wheel well and pull the starter
> straight forward (towards the front of the car). Now wiggle and turn the
> starter to put its rear into the triangular opening between the frame. Turn
> it so that the solenoid is towards the rear of the car - so you have the
> large diameter of the starter towards the larger front of the triangular
> opening. You can now pull the starter most of the way thru. It will
> catch on the mounting ears at this point.Turn and wiggle the starter,
> you can 'roll' it out at an angle, where one ear is rotated into the opening
> and then you can slide it the rest of the way out.
>
> It's easier to do than it is to explain.
>
> Note: My car doesn't have the metal 'plate' that earlier cars have. The
> above technique works on my '68 and '69, it may not work on yours :-)
>
> -- John

///
///