Re: Floor pan repair

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Floor pan repair
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:22:34 +0000
I don't reccommend sand blasting.  We researched rust
removal by media/sand blasting and found some
interesting results.  The rust forms pits in the metal.
Some of the pits are so small that it takes a microscope
to see them.  When you sand blast the metal it takes the
high spots around the pits and folds them over the
rust.  The surface looks clean, but there is hidden rust
buried under the folded metal on the microscopic level.
The only real way to completely get rid of the rust is
chemical immersion.  Stay away from acid treatments
because they activate metal.

Andy
> I would try to remove all the rust before applying the fiberglass by either
> sandblasting or glass beads or by other means. I wouldn't depend on a rust
> converter to stop all the rust.

///
///