Does gas tank slosh-seal go bad ?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Does gas tank slosh-seal go bad ?
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 00:25:21 EDT
OK... need the experience of the list here to help ID a problem.

The problem: I think the car needs to goto the vet - it seems to have a
tapeworm problem.

Symptoms: I keep getting little shreds of black crap up in the add-on glass
fuel filter. This is NOT a one time deal... it's been going on for years now.
I first discovered it 8+ yrs ago, broken down on the side of the road & had
to open up the fuel pump. Out came a whole handful of these shreds. Black,
rubbery,  paper-thin, slightly tacky to the feel, ranging in length from 1/2"
to 3" long, usually 1/16 " to 1/4" wide.

At that time I got a really lame confession from my ex that he had secretly
been siphoning gas from my car, and that he had scraped the hose on the way
out. Since then I got one of those aftemarket glass fuel filters that is
easily cleaned out.  About every 300 or so miles on the car I have to dig
more crap out of it - the same stuff every time. Up 'til now, I had always
written it off as his doing.  My ex was (and still is) a real dead-beat, & I
suspect that he had been stealing gas for years ... BUT, GEEZ, I am starting
to wonder if there isn't another problem going on here. Over the years I've
probably pulled out 2 cups of this black crap - this is getting ridiculous
and I want to consider other explanations.

So, the question is: anyone have any bad experience w/ "slosh-sealer"???  At
this point I don't even know if a PO had used any on the car. Does this
sealer ever go bad & peel off ? Anyone know of long-term effects of MTBE (or
whatever the heck else they put in the gas these days) on this sealer ? Any
other guesses as to what it is?

If I have the tank boiled out and resealed will it happen again? Are there
any other options? Or shall I just keep blaming my ex - it IS so convenient
y'know <G>

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC