Meeting the vendors Half way (long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Meeting the vendors Half way (long)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:07:44 PDT
List,

I have read with great interest the way the thread about how many roadsters
has also produced loyalty issues about our vendors. Yes, ebay provides
access to parts, but the vendors know the products and will give advice.

The thing is, I have written some emails to vendors asking about parts info
and prices to the various vendors that are on the list and have not received
any responses.

Obviously since I live in SoCal, CDM will get the labor and whatever parts I
need that they may easily get. It would not be smart for me to do otherwise.
Yes, these cars are not as exspensive as some to restore, but they are not
free either.

I have been searching for headrests for my 67 2000 as an example. I would be
willing to pay a pretty good price for them. In all fairness to the other
vendors, I gave CDM first crack at them. Les is always up front with me
about what parts he can and cannot get. He always tells me what parts I
should look for wherever I can get them. He told me he doesn't have easy
access to them. So I am looking for them. The more easily procured parts I
will get from him because I need the vendor to be loyal to me just as much
as I do for them.

The problem with the Datsun Roadster Restoration industry is that everyone
knows everyone. I have never heard of CDM, Sports Imports, Rodster
Restoration or any other vendor directly competing for bids against each
other. They seem to prefer more personal contacts and to know their clients.
The trade off is that when you get to know someone that well, you "expect"
the best deal possible.

So although Ross is a great guy (and I have bought parts from him) and has
pretty much said that if the roadster community doesn't send some business
his way he will fold, I am at a loss as to what to do. I will buy headrests
and other hard-to-find parts from him, but my first loyalty for the work
will go where I am known and that is CDM.

So Ross: dust of those headrests you have in stock and make me a deal for
them. I have a 67 2000 that needs those rare parts.

Trying to help the vendors,

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC