Re: DATSUN ROADSTER MOUSE PAD

To: "Marc Sayer" <msayer1@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: DATSUN ROADSTER MOUSE PAD
From: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:27:29 -0500
Marc Sayer wrote

>I am going to raise some dust with this, but I think this is absolutely
>unacceptable. Here is someone selling a Roadster mouse pad. I was all
>set to buy one, then I see the image. Is it a shot of their Roadster,
>no.  A shot from any recent event, no. a shot of someone on the list's
>car, no. Given the hundreds of photos of Roadsters available for this
>use both in private collections and on the net, I am stunned to see that
>what it is is a stolen image that belongs to Nissan. It is a RIP OFF,
>just as much as if they had gone to Nissan and stolen the mouse pads
>themselves from Nissan. Nissan owns the copyrights to that image (which
>is from a promotional item) and it is wrong for someone to be attempting
>to profit from it without their permission. Just because Nissan isn't
>likely going to take them to court over it doesn't make it right.

     I think a lot of people are in the dark about copyright and
intellectual property.  Some go to lenths to keep themselves ignorant I
think. "If you don't ask they can't say no"  I'm not making any excuses,
not by a long shot.  When an acquaintance, (a PHd, by the way) can't
understand why she can't reproduce articles, bind them together and sell
them,  you gotta wonder.

-Marc T.

Marc Tyler
Designer,