Re: DATSUN ROADSTER MOUSE PAD

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DATSUN ROADSTER MOUSE PAD
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:05:22 -0700
>  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381472652

I am going to raise some dust with this, but I think this is absolutely
unacceptable. Here is someone selling a Roadster mouse pad. I was all
set to buy one, then I see the image. Is it a shot of their Roadster,
no.  A shot from any recent event, no. a shot of someone on the list's
car, no. Given the hundreds of photos of Roadsters available for this
use both in private collections and on the net, I am stunned to see that
what it is is a stolen image that belongs to Nissan. It is a RIP OFF,
just as much as if they had gone to Nissan and stolen the mouse pads
themselves from Nissan. Nissan owns the copyrights to that image (which
is from a promotional item) and it is wrong for someone to be attempting
to profit from it without their permission. Just because Nissan isn't
likely going to take them to court over it doesn't make it right.

If I am wrong and these were either produced by Nissan or with Nissan's
permission, I apologize to the seller. But in that case I wish the
seller would make it clear on the listing that this is a Nissan
authorized product. This attitude that anything is okay and its only
wrong if someone will take it to court is BS and has to change. People
have a right to their property. None of us would like someone selling
off parts of our car, so why do we seem to think it is okay to sell off
someone's copyrighted materials?

We need to let people who do this sort of crap know we do not approve by
not buying their products.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher