Re: air box/heat

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Subject: Re: air box/heat
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:32:37 EDT
In a message dated 07/14/2000 11:48:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

>   Do you have any hints on how I oculd do this. Vacuum forming
>  plexiglass... I was mostly thinking about drawing up the designs and having
>  TAP plastics make me one out of thin acrylic or polycarbonate.....

Ah, stan's right... i had forgotten how close the intake is to the exh. using
plexi wouldn't be the best idea cuz it will fog up and possibly even melt.
And he's also right in that if you vacuum form over a foam surface, you'll
end up with a piece that's got a bit of texture on the inside. so it comes
down to whether you want to make a rounded single piece air box, or if you're
willing to live with a rectangular one with sides that are joined together...
(you could use bondo, filler, and gelcoat on your foam mold to give it that
nice smooooth surface tho.. then your vacuu-formed piece will be smooth too).
here's a quick sketch I just threw up:
http://members.xoom.com/stifus/airbox.gif
Figure the base plate is made of a sheet of lexan, mounted behind the air
horns... The plenum box is vacuum formed with a flat surface on the front.
Then you weld a 3" pipe to a flat flange and that bolts to the plenum on one
end...and you run a filter or house coupling to an intake pipe on the
other... attach the plenum to the base with either latch clamps or a bunch of
bolts and viola... fun fun fun

Van