Re: air box/heat

To: <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>, <demontsi@aol.com>
Subject: Re: air box/heat
From: Sexmnypwr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:20:33 EDT
  Daniel,

  If you vacuum form a clear plastic over foam, you will not get a nice clear
finish on the inside (to see the chromed stacks).  It would be textured unless
you spray a catalyzed primer over your foam buck and sand it smooth.  This is
time consuming.  If you want a nice "showpiece" type airbox to show off your
velocity stacks, I would go with the polycarbonate (lexan).  Keep in mind over
time with the heat in the engine compartment the plex won't stay nice and
clean/clear.  It will yellow, then get brittle and start to crack eventually.
 I would create a layout drawing of the carb/air filter mounting holes to
create a template for the mounting side of your airbox.  Use "Weld-On" to bond
the edges of your plex box, this is the molecular type bonding liquid.  There
is nothing stronger as it fusion welds the plastic edges together.
  Good luck, it should look sweet when you're finished.

  Stan Wada