air box/heat

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: air box/heat
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:41:12 -0500
List

On the subject of air boxes and under hood heat.   I had a friend that had a
full chassie dyno - one of the good computerized ones.  We did several
experiments with air boxes/remote filter/ fresh air and pulling right off
the carb/supercharger which pulled in under hood heat.

Pulling in cool air on some cars actually decreased HP Vs. using hot under
hood air.  This was because the ducting had elbows and was out of corrugated
piping.  This causes a lot of turbulence in the air flow.  My 96 Dodge
Dakota V8 was this way.  If I pulled the piping to the front of the truck
off the air cleaner and gained 5 HP.  The biggest gain on this truck was a
K&N filter - 7 HP.  With a Borla exhaust it makes 200 Hp at the rear wheels.

Another guy had a Vortec supercharged 351 in a ford truck.  Same Hp without
the air box (hot air) and with an air box (cool air).  The air box used a
flat filter and the piping was 15 inches long with one 30 degree elbow.
After putting on a straight pipe and cone type of K&N filter his HP went up
by about 10 to 320 HP.

If using an air box the piping to the front must be as straight and short as
possible.  The piping must have a smooth interior.   If not done well you
may be shooting yourself in the foot.

I wish he still had the dyno - my Roadster would be the subject of more
experiments.

Happy Roadstering
Phil
SEROC