Re: Roadster Prices Revisited

To: Andrew Murphy <solex67@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Roadster Prices Revisited
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:17:37 -0700
Andrew and List,
I have seen the prices of the Roadster creep up in the past couple
of years. I use to be able to pick up a non running two liter for
around $500.00 with extra parts. I even got a 69 ' Solex car
for a case of natural light. It was non running of course. I have been
looking around for a non running 67.5' 1600 around here . I have
found one the guy wants $1,000 for. He has had it for awhile and
it would take at least $5,000 to $8,000 to get it the way I want it.
That is with me doing at least 90% of the work. That is the part I
enjoy about owning a Roadster being able to do the work myself,
and not having to pay to have work done.

The car is worth to the seller what he wants it to be worth, and to the
buyer what he wants to pay for it. I have seen cars with well over
$10,000 into them sell for $5,500. If they want to sell it for $13,000
so be it. Maybe some buyer might think the car is worth that much to them.

While you restore your 67.5' 2 liter keep all your receipts and see how
much it costs you to finish it. Figure it will cost about the same amount
to do a 68'-70' 2 liter. I personally wouldn't pay $4,500 for a 70' 2 liter,
because it isn't what I would want. I also wouldn't own a 67.5' 2000
or a 1500 unless I was going to leave it stock. I believe those cars should
be left as close to original as possible. I like to modify things a bit so I
lean toward the more common 66'-67.5' 1600 or the 68'-70' 2 liters.

The only way to really increase the values is to restore them the best you can
and get them out there for others to see. After I posted the message about
Roadster clubs on the Hemmings Motor New site Mark Dent signed up
OROC on there with us. Take your car to car shows even if you don't enter
or to other automobile events that is how you get the prices to go up.
Recognition If they don't see them they might  as well not exist. All I heard
at the races was you should have seen that Roadster kick #### yesterday.

Just get them running and out on the streets so everyone else can see
them , and the prices will follow. Let me get the one I want first though !!

I guess I should get off my soap box now. It has been a great week for
me so I am ready to go on my next project. Now all I need is some money ;-)

Mike
2 69' 2000's in parts
Hayden Lake, Idaho