Re: Crazy VARA Racer's Opinion

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crazy VARA Racer's Opinion
From: Ronnie Day <rday@bigtex.ci.dallas.tx.us>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:55:09 -0500
When you first mentioned E/P I didn't realize you meant E Production as
opposed to E Prepared. Oh well. In any case, can you get away with
rolling up the lip where the rear quarter panel and inner fender meet and
then pulling that out to give you more room under there? However slight,
you'd be creating more space that might/should allow for more wheel
offset to increase the rear track and at the same time possibly allow a
wider tire under there.

When we put the flares on the E/P 510 we removed the outside arched
section of the inner fender and ran a flat filler panel over the the
quarter panel. Gives us a lot of room. It's a shame you can't do that on
the roadster for vintage.

FWIW,
Ron
______________________________

> Mike wrote:

>I think he is right on one thing that the VARA rules don't allow
>fender flares. I have seen Paul Jaremkos 69' 2000 vintage racer
>at the races in Spokane. I understand he had Panasport make his
>wheels with just the right offset to allow for the largest tire he could fit
>in the fender wells. Someone correct me if I am wrong with the VARA rules
>on fender flares. This car screams with its 2 liter Solex engine and
>I believe around 210 horsepower

>_________________________________

>>Victor wrote:

>> So, I told the VARA racer (MGB) at work that we were putting together an EP
>> Datsun. He told me, "That's Great! We need more cars in my class" Too bad
>> you won't be competitive." I asked "What do you mean by that?" He says,
>> "Those Datsuns have a way too narrow rear track and they (rule makers) won't
>> let you run the flares to get enough rubber down" "You just can't make those
>> Datsuns handle."
>>
>> I have no idea from which alternate universe this guy gets his facts, but if
>> that slow M>F> ever gets near any real Datsun EP Roadster, He better pray to
>> Lucas his silly, pushrod 1800 doesn't get blown away!

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)