Re: Turbo (Flame) War

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo (Flame) War
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 08:31:53 -0400

Gordon Glasgow wrote:

> Sure, I'd be
> reluctant to build a boosted motor without adding the insurance of stuff like
>forged pistons,
> ceramic coatings, electronic ignition, knock sensor, etc.
> But people were building supercharged and
> turbocharged motors long before that stuff was invented.

Of course, and that is exactly why that stuff was invented.  So that a turbo,
street driven engine
could make power, on cheap gas, for everyday driving without blowing itself all
over the parking
lot when the wife takes it for groceries.

> It isn't impossible to build a reliable turbo motor without that stuff, but
>the average guy is going
> to go through a hell of a lot of major parts and some serious money before
>getting the combination
> just right. I've seen it happen too many times.

My point exactly. It can be done and Mike may well have built a rocket, but
there is a really good
chance of destroying a perfectly good engine if someone with moderate skills
takes Mikes approach.
(Even if you go the high tech route and want to run 17lbs boost there is still a
good chance)

> So if you're one of the people out there on the list thinking about building
>a trick motor that will
> make your roadster launch like a Sidewinder missile, look in your billfold
>first and ask yourself,
> "Do I feel lucky, kid?"

Well, do ya?

Jim