Re: Turbo (Flame) War

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo (Flame) War
From: Mark van der Hoek <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:31:15 -0800
Gordon Glasgow wrote:

> Okay, guys, can we dial this back a little bit here?

Good idea!  If you can disagree agreeably, fine, like Gordon and I
are doing (offline) on the Microsoft case.  (I'll 'roast' you some
more on that later, Gordon.  Busy weekend!)

> Beyond that, it really doesn't matter if it's running a corn cob cam and
glow plugs.

Uh, Gordon, the is a CAR list.  Tractors are over one aisle, down
near the Peterbilts. <grin>

> reluctant to build a boosted motor without adding the insurance of stuff
like forged pistons,
> ceramic coatings, electronic ignition, knock sensor, etc. But people were
building supercharged and
> turbocharged motors long before that stuff was invented.

Yup.  Check out a large assortment of WWII aircraft engines.
Turbochargers abounded, and nary an electronic knock sensor to be
found.  Nor many (any?) forged pistons.  EFI? Ceramic coating?  What's
that?   Water injection was here and there, though.  Interesting
stuff, that.

> make your roadster launch like a Sidewinder missile, look in your billfold
first and ask yourself,
> "Do I feel lucky, kid?"

I can just hear Les replying, "Go ahead, make my day!"  <grin>
(sorry, Les, couldn't resist!)

Mark van der Hoek
Salt Lake City