Re: Bearing Press.

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Subject: Re: Bearing Press.
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 99 21:53:01 CST
Daniel,

You might want to read through a FAQ I wrote up on rear wheel bearings.
Should be at the www.datsun.org
Opps... just looked at it is NOT there. ;-(

Any way, you should use AT LEAST three tons of pressure to press on the
wheel bearing retaining collar. It is an interference fit, so lightly
chilling the axle and heating the collar some will help them press
together.

If the collar goes on with less than 3 tons of pressure... you run a
risk of loosing a wheel going around a corner. Sadly we lost a fellow
roadster owner whose car flipped over after loosing the wheel.

If there is a press there, hopefully there is an experience machinist
who knows how to operate it and it's limit. I'd prefer to see you use
a 20 ton press with a gauge.

As to using a sledge hammer, and hunk of pipe... well there is always
brute force techniques for everything. Would I let someone replace
my bearing that way...  no way!

Cheers,

Tom Walter