Re: Speaking of Lighting

To: <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking of Lighting
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:40:11 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com

>With all of the talk of headlights I have a question about
>wiring for driving lights.
snip
>The alternative would seem to be a relay switched on and off by
>the light switch.

Yep, that's how you do it.

snip
>Where would I get a relay for this and is there a specific type/
>rating that I would need to use?

Radio Shack could probably hook you up, but you'd have to find
someone there who knew something (anything?!) about what they sell.
Not easy in this day and age.... You local monster truck hop-up shop
would CERTAINLY have the right part - go in there with your heart on
your sleeve, them good ole boyz will do you right.

>Do I run the source directly from the battery or from the front
>end of the fuse box?

>From the battery.  The relay gets grounded to the body, and the
trigger comes from the fuse box.  I just ran the wire in between the
fuse and the fuse clip.... not real cosmetic, but it works, and
didn't require any dissasembly.

>Do I use a fuseable link or is the relay a fuse?  See,  I dont
>really know anything !!

Wellnow, at least you know when to ask for help!  Put the trigger on
the fused side of the fuse box, so the headlight fuse protects ya
there.  Put a 25 amp fuse in line with the main feed (from the
battery).  FWIW, a fusible link is just a fancy schmancy fuse -
developed because, AFAIK, fuses have a small resistance than can
confuse computer cars.

FWIW
Kyle
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond