Re: Flywheel removal

To: SSochoux@dbc.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel removal
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 99 21:58:02 CST
Steve,

Couple of tricks:

1. Take some bailing wire... no, I am not kidding.
   Put a pressure plate bolt back into the flywheel.
   Ditto on a engine to transmission bolt. rotate
   the flywheel so to two bolts are close together.
   Wrap a bunch of wire (I use safety wire), holding
   the two bolts next to each other.

2. Take a 4' long piece of angle iron. Drill two holes
   it it that line up with the pressure plate holes
   (pressure plate can be used to help to figure where
   the bolts go. You want two bolts next to each other).
   With that 4' angle iron holding the flywheel, much
   easier to get the flywheel bolts loosened.

   I have improvised and used a long breaker bar. Bolt
   through the hole in the handle, into the flywheel
   clutch bolt. Another bolt to hold the breaker bar
   against. Other hand on YET ANOTHER breaker bar to
   loosen the flywheel bolts.

3. Flywheel holder. A piece of metal with "teeth in it"
   to match up the teeth of the flywheel. Hole for one
   of the engine/transmission to go through it.  Hacksaw,
   file, and a little time to make one. [I've seen
   commercial built ones for VW engines, but never one
   for a Datsun engine.

4. Remove the oil pan, and use a block of wood between
   the crankshaft and the side of the engine. Hard wood
   is best, as it might splinter.

Having done all the above... boy, am I glad I have
a air compressor and impact gun. Then again if I have
do a clutch job on the road some place... these little
tricks come in handy.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Disclaimer: long day, ready to call it a night... so if I
overlooked something, you'll know why!