Re: Flywheel removal

To: "Sochoux, Stephan" <SSochoux@dbc.com>,
Subject: Re: Flywheel removal
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:24:58 -0600
>Fred Katz was going to give me a hand but had to cut him short due to work.
>We had a hacker take down the network where i work and i've been working
>around the clock to fix that.. meanwhile i rented a engine hoist couple of
>days ago, yanked the engine, and i now i need  to take the flywheel off so i
>can put the engine on the engine stand and return the hoist (if i keep it
>too long, i'll own it!). The problem is, i can't undo the bolts.
>I feel pretty stupid asking, i should be able to figure it out but.. how do
>you prevent the flywheel from spinning ?

Stephan,

FWIW, I called a couple local rental places and they all wanted around
$50/day for a hoist. Since I knew I was going to need it at least four
times in a few months, I decided to price them. Went to Sam's and they
had one with legs that fold for storage for $200 plus a $20 rebate.
Needless to say I now own one.

As far as removing the flywheel bolts, an impact wrench comes in handy,
if you have one along with a compressor. If you don't, pull the oil pan
and see if you can't use a 2 by 4 or something similar wedged between a
crank throw and the inside of the block to keep the crank from turning
while you use a 15 to 18 inch breaker bar to loosen the flywheel bolts.
You might even need a 5 foot piece of heavy wall TV antenna mast (Radio
Shack, Home Depot) as a cheater on the breaker bar. There are hook type
gizmos that you can get that bolt to one of the transmission bolt holes
and grab the starter ring gear to keep the flywheel from moving, but the
wood works just as well. Just don't leave any splinters inside the
block.<G>

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@home.com