Re: U20, SR20DE, or 13B

To: "Joshua Milton" <jt_milton@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: U20, SR20DE, or 13B
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kyle@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:21:17 -0700
From: Joshua Milton <jt_milton@yahoo.com>

>I agree.  13B.
>
>If youve never driven an RX7(any year), try to.  They
>have phenominal power and weigh less than your average
>4cyl.  Ive had 2 (81 & 82) that were stock and they
>could perform!

Are we on candid camera or something?  LOL!  I can hardly type with
the quaking shaking laughing fingers. (no offense, Josh!)

When first joining the ranks of sports car drivers, I drove a couple
of 1st Gen Rx7's.  I thought they handled great, looked pretty good,
and had great brakes.  The steering was heavy as a truck, but a
power-steering equipped GSL was very nice.

But OH MAN were they slow.  I mean, wow, that's slow!  As in, "honey,
would you get out and push?"  I next drove a '73 240Z, and the hook
was set, I've been a Datsun fiend ever since.

>After that try driving the 93 RX7 and youll swear youre flying a jet
fighter.

Ooh la-la!  If ever the day comes when I've got the ducats for a
"new" car (anything newer than me is a new car;-), that's at the top
of the list.... finally, someone got it right.  What impressed me
about that machine when it came out was the concious effort the
engineers put forth to lower the weight and decrease the size of the
vehicle (compare that to the 300ZX).  You don't see a lot of that
philosophy these days, do ya!  (..think of the SUV insanity..)

But a Rotary in a Roadster?  Yeesh, I dunno.  Sure it'll fit (you can
probably fit a 13B in your glovebox;-), but you'll be replacing the
engine (not rebuilding) every 40K or so.... in my experience, the
Rotaries don't live long... but that's 12A's I'm thinking of, so
maybe they fixed em up for the 13B?

I'd suggest a VG30 if you're looking for more juice.... much more
reliable, better economy (the rotaries are gas hogs, AIR), and it's a
Nissan engine.

All FWIW, YMMV, BFD, ETC. :-)

Kyle
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond