frame question

To: Datsun List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: frame question
From: P or T <p-pie@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:58:41 -0400
I've been cleaning up my engine bay, working toward fitting the new
KA24DE, and I have a question about the 2 square, flat structures on
either frame rail, almost directly above the steering box and idler
box.....each has threaded holes, 4 each(?), as if they are for some very
specific use, although I can't recall ever seeing anything bolted to
them on any car I've seen.

What the heck are they there for?  Did roadsters share frames with
something else? And what is the consensus on removing them - I am trying
to shed pounds, and move weight rearward for improved handling and
balance (the new engine will sit a bit further back)

Pete Long
'68 (2L)