Re: Towing

To: mbyers@sapientnetworks.com
Subject: Re: Towing
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:48:59 EDT
In a message dated 06/24/1999 2:14:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
mbyers@sapientnetworks.com writes:

<< I have to disagree..

 With a properly set up operation the trailer can be many times the weight of
 the tractor as demonstrated by semitrucks, especially the Australian
 roadtrains :-0 .  The main requirements for this type of operation are
 trailer brakes, proper tongue weight, towing experience,  and remembering
 that the thing is back there in a panic situation.  I have successfully
 towed a 8000lb boat with a 4000lb truck from the SF bay area to Salt Lake
 City and back over Donner pass during a snow storm with no problems thanks
 to a proper setup.

Yes, I think the key ingredient here is TRAILER BRAKES.  If you have a
vehicle towing another and all the brakes are on the tow vehicle and you have
to stop fast, especially in the wet, you run the risk of jacknifing.

On a related note, I plan to flat-tow my roadster behind a 94 Cougar soon.
Any advice besides taking off the driveshaft?
 Thanks,
Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque