Australian Datsun Sports Nationals

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Australian Datsun Sports Nationals
From: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:22:13 +1000
Well, no one else has mentioned it, so I'll tell you a bit about the
recent Australian Nationals. Every year for the past 13 years the 3
Australian Roadster clubs get together for the Australian Datsun Sports
Nationals. This is held on the same weekend every year and is a great
opportunity to meet other SP310, SP311, SR311 and CSP311 owners from
around the country. This year it was held at Toowoomba in Queensland,
which is about 100km west of Brisbane. There was 32 cars in attendance,
30 Roadsters and 2 Silvias, plus a few other owners that were unable to
bring their Roadsters. On the saturday all the cars gathered at Queens
park for a barbecue followed by the Concours judging. It was a
spectacular sight to see that many Datsun sports cars lined up in a row.
Then we headed off for dinner where the Datsun discussions continued
until late into the night. On sunday we all hit the road for a 250km
drive through some spectacular scenery on some of the best driving roads
you have ever seen. The group quickly split into 2 groups, the rev-heads
disappeared into the distance while everyone else happily cruised along
at a more sensible speed. (I was travelling at nearly 160kph, close to
the Silvia's top speed, and the cars in front were pulling away from me
at an alarming rate. The number 220 was being discussed later in the
day) We returned to Toowoomba that night for the dinner and awards
presentation. The truly dedicated (or stupid) of us stayed awake until 6
in the morning to watch the Canadian F1 Grand Prix. It was a truly
memorable weekend and great to see such a large turn out. Many owners
drove thousands of kilometres to be there. The only problem with the
whole weekend is that we have to wait a whole year to do it again.
Alan Bent  -  Queensland , Australia
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1965 Silvia CSP311
1966 Fairlady SP311  -  1964 Fairlady 3 seater SP310
1964 Cedric Wagon WP31  -  1963 Bluebird P312
1963 Cedric Sedan P31 - 1964 Cedric Wagon WP31
1969 Super Six G130