Re: engine transplants

To: pete-3@juno.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine transplants
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:40:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/9/99 9:20:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete-3@juno.com
writes:

<< Lately I've been thinking about replacing my tired R16 with something
 more powerfull.  I am in no position to attempt it now but next summer
 might be possible.  It all depends on how my money flow is.  I was
 wondering what a good candidate would be for an engine.  I would like to
 keep it Nissan.  It also must be a fairly simple transplant as I have
 never done something like this before (I'll have to get my uncle to help
 me probably).  Another big factor is price, it can't be too expensive or
 parts too hard to find.  Can you guys think of any good engines
 candidates for me?  This isn't serious but I thought I'd throw it out
 today. >>

Are you looking at putting in a modern engine? Or did you want to keep things
somewhat "original?" If you wanna go modern, there's always the RWD SR20.
It's a 2.0L, DOHC engine rated at ~150+hp. Most parts are readily available,
as there is a FWD iteration of the same engine in US-market sentra SERs and
infiniti G20s. I'm doing a swap with the SR20 engine out of a japanese-market
silvia (avl in the US as the 240SX, but with a different engine). I've a bit
of mechanical experience, but have never gone as far as even pulling a whole
engine before. So this swap has forced me to jump feet-first into a very
involving project that has been very educational, and I'm sure will reward me
well when it's done.
I believe that my swap may be the first SR20 into a LHD roadster on the
western hemisphere. I'd like to be proven wrong though (I want to compare
notes if someone else has already done it!!! :)  Being "the first," I've
encountered a lot of problems associated with having no one else to turn to
for advice for some of the smallest little details (fitment of stock exhaust
manifold, oil pan-to-crossmember clearance, etc.). Having someone with more
experience to help will also definitely make things a lot easier. You can
check out my progress at: http://members.xoom.com/BADROC

Van