RE: engine transplants

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: engine transplants
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 99 11:39:11 CDT
>Lately I've been thinking about replacing my tired R16 with something
>more powerfull.  I am in no position to attempt it now but next summer
>might be possible.  It all depends on how my money flow is.  I was
>wondering what a good candidate would be for an engine.  I would like to
>keep it Nissan.  It also must be a fairly simple transplant as I have
>never done something like this before (I'll have to get my uncle to help
>me probably).  Another big factor is price, it can't be too expensive or
>parts too hard to find.  Can you guys think of any good engines
>candidates for me?  This isn't serious but I thought I'd throw it out
>today.

Matt,

Withg any project I like writing down the goals of what I want to
accomplish when the project is done. This may sound a little odd,
but it helps me to think things through.

Once you have the goals written down, then you can go back and
make up a list of of how much in resources it should take to get there.
Money and Time.

I have seen some very nice roadster end up getting scraped as
someone didn't follow through with the conversion. It helps to
go an event like Mt. Shasta where you can talk with owners who
have actually gone through the work, and take lots of photographs.
Little things like the steering box being in the way will cost lots
of time and money that you haven't planned for. So when you notice
a neat VG30 (3000cc V6) installed, and happen to notice the owner
made a comment "Ya, the steering rack took a little extra work"...
you will appreciate why it took that extra time.

Stan Chernoff sells a "kit" for dropping a L16/L18/L20B into
a roadster. While still a popular engine, I seem to notice less
donors around.

Ross Mullen, Sports Imports, mentioned having a kit for a KA24
engine installation. Since they are common in lots of datsun's
(you want the engine/tranny from a rear wheel drive vehicle
like the truck!) and someone has done the work for you... might
be a good bet. I would still estimate a used engine/tranny for
around $800 (you will want EVERYTHING off the donor, fuel injection,
fuel injection pump, harness, computer, ect). Seems like you could
have a complete conversion for under $2000 and a few weeks of time.

I am sure a few folks who have done the above conversions will
have lots of comments. Admitted I have a better equiped garage
than a lot of folks, but prefer to keep my roadsters fairly stock.
If I find a engineless roadster, then it is another matter. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.