Re: racn and pinion swap...

To: <DemonTSi@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: racn and pinion swap...
From: "Rob Robinson" <FastrTime@t-three.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 22:36:09 -0400
    I've never done it on a roadster, but I have done it on a few other cars
(240Z, TVR, Datsun 1200)   If you want to use a r&p from another car, you
must find a "front steer" rack. By front steer, I mean the rack is in front
of the wheels like in a 240Z or Miata, as opposed to behind the wheels like
every front wheel drive car I've ever seen. Just the fact that the car is
rear drive does not guarantee a front steer rack. Take a look under every ZX
Nissan produced if you doubt me. Also, "stock" racks come in many different
ratios, and for a roadster you'll want a quick ratio. A quick ratio is often
found in sports cars, but can also be found in econoboxes. I think the one I
put in the 1200 was from a late '80s sentra, and had something like a 14:1
ratio.
    With a car like a Datsun Roadster, you probably realize that space is
limited, just like choice of mounting location. For this reason, I'd suggest
going with an aftermarket rack such as a Sweet. These are available in a
variety of lengths and ratios, and they can be custom made to your specs.
Sweet racks can also be easily converted to power assist, if you so desire.
    One other potential problem a novice may encounter is bump steer.
Without going in to too much detail, bump steer is basically when wheels
change toe angle due to suspension movement rather than steering input. In
severe cases, this can be SCARY. Read Carroll Smith's "Tune To Win" and
Allan Stanforth's "Competition Car Suspension" for more detailed help with
rack selection.
    A couple other pretty good books on related topics: Carroll Smith's
"Prepare to Win" and Steve Smith's "Stock Car Chassis Technology"

Rob Robinson
CSP 67 2000
Roanoke, Va