Re: intermittent running on?

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Subject: Re: intermittent running on?
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:46:18 EDT
In a message dated 05/28/1999 11:41:58 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

<< Besides that my problem is my car seems to run on every once in a while?
 Maybe once every five times or so when I shut it off it kinda stumbles once..
 twice and then makes a wierd 'farting' (pardon my french) noise as it dies??
 Other than that it starts right up and runs fine..though just lately its been
 idling a little high...
        I thought that when a car runs on it meant that the timing was wacky..
 but why would it be intermittent?? Is it time for a new non-smog dist???

                Daniel 69 2000 'Feynman'
                SF CA

Daniel,
A couple of other things can cause running on. One would be that the throttle
butterflies are open too much, letting gas keep going in when the engine is
shut off. Another is that there is carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons;
these get to glowing and act as spark igniters for the fuel that keeps coming
in.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque