Re: New Member on the List

To: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>,
Subject: Re: New Member on the List
From: "The Becketts" <hillman@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:35:48 +1100
Rich  Atherton wrote:
>    I became interested in these engines when I melted a piston in the
stock
>4 cylinder in my 65 Series IV Sunbeam Alpine.  When it melted it destroyed
>the freshly rebuilt head, put a big dent and crack in the cylinder wall,
and
>pretty much put an end to that engine.  At 1592cc's, it was never a real
>speedy car, but I loved it dearly, and Immediately set out to find a
>suitable replacement (non stock) engine to put in its place.

Welcome to another Rootes Group car owner.
Why not use a twin carb Hillman 1725 engine, e.g., Hunter GT

>Wiped off the grunge around the block
>serial numbers to verify the year, and found it was ALL Aluminum.!!!  Now
>was very interested in this engine.  It was small, short in heighth, short
>in length, and very light.  But what about parts...

Me too - I keep think about putting one in a Hillman Hunter.

>I sold the car three years later (uncompleted),

Ah, well - an ex-Rootes Group car owner who may return to the fold.

Regards,
Ron Beckett
'86 Range Rover 4.6L
Webmaster Hillman Owners Club of Australia
Webmaster Land Rover Owners Club of Australia (Sydney Branch)
check my web site http//www.users.bigpond.com/hillman