New Member on the List

To: "Aluminum V8 List (Buick/Rover)" <buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Member on the List
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 05:54:23 -0800
    Hello everyone, Let me introduce myself by stating that I have a 63
Buick 215 engine.  (Now I'm part of the group!)...

Short version.  Hello!  looking for all of the new tech tips, and parts
available..Thanks bye

Long version:

    I became interested in these engines when I melted a piston in the stock
4 cylinder in my 65 Series IV Sunbeam Alpine.  When it melted it destroyed
the freshly rebuilt head, put a big dent and crack in the cylinder wall, and
pretty much put an end to that engine.  At 1592cc's, it was never a real
speedy car, but I loved it dearly, and Immediately set out to find a
suitable replacement (non stock) engine to put in its place.  I did NOT want
to turn my car in to the Sunbeam Tiger, (basically a modified Alpine powered
by the Ford 260, or 289 V-8), a very fast version built by Sunbeam from a
basic design by Carol Shelby.  They had some serious problems (My opinion)
which I did not want to duplicate.  anyway...off I went to research Engines.

    My first choice was the Lotus 907 (as I remember) Big Valve Twin Cam
that came in all of the Lotus cars of the 70's like the Europa, Esprit, etc,
and in the Jensen-Healey.  This was a good choice because the Jensen-Healey
actually used the  same gearbox as the later model Alpines, which meant I
could keep the existing drive train (I had previously replaced my
transmission with the Later Alpine version.).  These Engines also had plenty
of HP rated at 140 to 160 depending displacement (1800 vs.. 2000).  So went
to the Bone yards to acquire one of the beasts, and found two problems.  It
looked like the front of the cam Pulley Covers, would not clear the down
sloping hood of the Alpine.  In fact, there was no way it would clear.  The
second problem was that any boneyard that had one of these wanted between
$2,000, and $2,500 (US dollars) for the  Engine.   Unfortunately, the search
had to continue..

    While rummaging through a pile of core engines looking for a FIAT 1800
engine, I thought it may have lower cam covers, I was wrestling with all of
the engines in this pile trying to move them to get deeper in the pile, when
one moved quite easily.  Now I'm a very big guy at 6'4 and about 290lbs (in
1978 ...kept adding since then...Dam), and was in some pretty decent
muscular condition, so moving the engine blocks by hand was not big deal.
keep in mind that these were filthy greasy hulk of metal that were almost
indistinguishable as engines at all.  Swollen moved very easily, I wondered
what it was I had for breakfast that morning.  When I looked closer at this
engine, I found that it was a small scale V-8, but could tell nothing more.
I wrote down the numbers on the tag that was wired to it, and went into the
office to find out what it was.  They said it was out of a 1963 Buick
Special, but that's all they knew.  I asked for some books on these cars,
and looked up to find that it was a 215, with a bore and stroke that
appealed to me.  I still didn't know why it was so light.  I went back out
to the pile to investigate this interesting engine some more and noticed
that it had an Aluminum 4bbl Intake manifold.  Well, that will make it
lighter I thought.  Wiped some real thick grunge off of the heads and found
that they were Aluminum too.  Cool I thought...iron block and Aluminum heads
just like the old Alpine engine.  Wiped off the grunge around the block
serial numbers to verify the year, and found it was ALL Aluminum.!!!  Now I
was very interested in this engine.  It was small, short in heighth, short
in length, and very light.  But what about parts...

    A little research at my local "Bill's Auto Parts" found that the owner
was VERY familiar with the engines, as he was a primary builder of them for
the inboard Boat racing class called N225.  the 225 being the max
displacement allowed.  In this class the ran Dodge 225 slant 6's Ford 221
V-8's, and the Buick/Olds 215's.  More investigation found that the 215 were
the way to go in the boats, as they won almost every race, and were very
reliable, according to the boat owners and drivers.  Got a good list of
parts from them, and found that they set their rev limitters at 9,000 RPM
during the preliminary heats, and would turn them up to 9,500 for the Final
heat.  They did this all season long without breaking them.  I WAS
CONVINCED.

    I acquired my 63 Buick 215 for $50, and immediately set out to locate
the parts that I would need to complete the job of dropping this engine into
my Alpine.  Ran into a few complications with fitting this engine into the
car, the main one being that the left head needed to occupy the same space
as the Steering box.  this meant I had to use the Sunbeam Tiger Steering.
This was a major problem, because, it's the steering that is one of the
Tigers Major problems.  I was not going to do that...Also found that the
Silvo-Lite pistons which I had purchased would explode above 6,500 RPM or
there abouts, so they had to go.  I sold the Rods and pistons. and the
project stalled, due to available cash, and time, and a place to do it.

    I sold the car three years later (uncompleted), but kept the engine
which I still have.  I still plan to do this Alpine conversion, and now that
I am older, and much smarter (Hopefully!!), I have a much better plan than
before.  Retaining the Stock steering of the Alpine, or at least something
similar that is rear mounted or firewall mounted, is critical.  I need to
acquire another decent Alpine before I can continue with the project, and am
searching for a good one now..

    Th Engine as it is now:
Stock block (63 Buick 215) Bored .040 over
Stock heads poorly ported by me
No Rods, No Pistons
Stock Crank
New Rocker Assemblies
New Isky Lumpy cam and lifters (Hydraulic)
New Light tubular Chromemoly push rods
Semi rare Factory Dual Plane 4 barrel Intake manifold
Very Rare Factory 4 speed bell housing  Drilled and tapped for both 3 and 4
speeds
Very Rare Finned and Polished Offenhouser Valve covers (discontinued
15+years ago)
All engine parts have been cold tanked and machined, and new bearings
installed.

The plan:
Probably will sell this block, and acquire a later stronger Rover block
Would prefer EFI, and electronic ignition, if the EFI can support 9,000
RPM's
Billet crank, stock stroke of 2.8"  (probably....since I really like HIGH
RPM's)
Forged, Billet or Aluminum Rods (longer than stock)
Roller Cam bearings
Roller Cam and lifters
Roller Rockers
Custom Forged Pistons (J&E or Johns...probably 10.5 to 11.0 cr.)
Aluminum Flywheel
roller cam chain, or possibly gear drive set
Main bearing Stud kits, and any other block improvements
Eventually, connected to an Aluminum 5 or 6 speed GM transmission.
May go to a JAG IRS rear, or a much stronger Ford 9"...that's a ways off.

HP output is planned in the 390 to 425 range.  Redline of 9,500 RPM
However, will set rev limitter to no more than probably 8,500 RPM

Oh yes, and the one major safety item.....The woven Kevlar Explosion proof
Scatter Shield blanket.  If the flywheel or clutch comes apart up at HIGH
RPM's, I'll still have my lower legs and feet!

    Well, that's it...Sorry this was Soo long, but I thought I'd just open
the flood gates and pour it all out at once.

I'm also a member of the Alpines list and the Tigers List

Thanks !!

Rich Atherton
Seattle, Washington, USA