Re: distributors

To: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Subject: Re: distributors
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:39:19 -0500
At 11:47 AM 1/5/99 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any comments about the Mallory twin point distributors vs.
>the stock Rover/P76 ones. I currently use a Rover/P76 distributor in my car,
>fitted with an optical ignition kit (lumenition), but was wondering if the
>Mallory would be any better.

IMHO the Rover with vac advance and the luminition would be better in a
mildly cammed road motor.  In NZ Lucas caps and Rotors are common as Delco
here.  But...a new dizzy is a good dizzy.

>Someone on the list mentioned that a Chev HEI distributor would fir the
>Rover/Leyland engines. If this is the case, what is required to fit it? Are
>there any issues with the oil pump nad distributor drive gear?

We use a Buick Delco point dizzy with a Pertronix.  Only lost 1 so far in
all we have sold.  Had the Luminition in my TR for years, it worked
flawlessly.

To put a Delco in a SD1 type Rover just remove the Buick gear and replace
with the Rover gear and oil driver.  Shorten the Buick shaft to match the
Rover shaft distance from roll pin to tip of shaft.  5 minute job

Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8
many others