Re: distributors

To: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Subject: Re: distributors
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:16:48 -0500
Simon-

There have been many discussions on the MG list regards dual point vs
stock dizzys. The consensus seemed to be that little was actually gained
by going to the dual point. Most comparisons are unfair, that is,
comparing a worn out stock dizzy with 150,000 miles on it with no
maintenance, to a new Mallory. Of course the Mallory is better. Is it
better than a rebuilt stock dizzy? Probably not a lot better.

The Chevy HEI will not fit, but a Buick 350 probably will if you are
willing to change the oil pump drive shaft, or modify the dizzy. The
problem is that the Buick has a tongue that fits into a slot in the oil
pump drive, the British version is just the opposite except for the
early engines (I think). Before trying this, check the lengths of the
distributer shafts & oil pump drive shafts to me sure the totals are the
same. I did run a Buick HEI on my 215 for a year or so. You will have to
remove a lump on the intake manifold vith a file or sander ( don't use a
grinding wheel on aluminum) & use a button head socket bolt in this
location. Otherwise, no problem except for hood clearance. Mine wouldn't
clear without spacing up the hood latching mechanism, & I finally
removed the HEI because I got tired of well-meaning people warning that
my hood wasn't shut.

My present dizzy is a Mallory magnetic without vacuum advance, set up by
Woody Cooper & The Wedge Shop, & I am quite happy. Another alternative
is an electronic conversion by Petronics or others. I have a stock dizzy
with a MSD system on the other car, & it has been very good.

If  you changer the oil pump &/or the front cover to Buick, stock
rebuilt Buick distributers are inexpensive, & caps & such are very cheap
compared to the Rover parts.

Jack & Ted & others will give you good advice on this, I am sure.

Jim Stuart