distributors - Reply

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: distributors - Reply
From: Dan Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:20:09 -0600
>Does anyone have any comments about the Mallory twin point distributors
vs.
>the stock Rover/P76 ones. I currently use a Rover/P76 distributor in my
car,
>fitted with an optical ignition kit (lumenition), but was wondering if
the
>Mallory would be any better.

The Mallory dual point units are nice but they also make electronic
versions (the Unilte series).  As long as you want mechanical advance
only, the price is reasonable.  Vacuum advance adds $100 to the price.
The advance curve is easily adjustable using the supplied key.  If you
go
with a Unilite module, make sure that it gets 7 to 9 volts (use a ballast
resister if necessary) and run resistor sparkplug wires (solid core wires
will eventually kill the module).

>Someone on the list mentioned that a Chev HEI distributor would fir the
>Rover/Leyland engines. If this is the case, what is required to fit it?
Are
>there any issues with the oil pump nad distributor drive gear?

I don't know about Rover/Leyland compatibility but the Buick 350
HEI distributor is the one that fits the Buick 215.  Use a Buick V6 hold
down bolt for manifold clearance.  The Chevy HEI will not fit.  Dan
Lagrou sells a rebuilt HEI distributor that uses a mix of Buick and Chevy

parts to eliminate manifold/bolt clearance problems.  If I recall correctly,
price is around $120.  Be aware that GM makes dozens of HEI modules
with different spark characteristics.  Some are quite lazy but I'm sure
the aftermarket can cure that.

Later,
Dan Jones