Re: Different Brake Fluid Twist

To: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Subject: Re: Different Brake Fluid Twist
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:50:25 -0700
This is a bit off, but....  I have a Citroen DS21 Pallas.  It is suposed to
have a
special brake fluid for it's hydraulic system too - which runs everything but
the
wheels and engine.  The only brake fluid that officially conforms to the
specification given (I don't remember the #'s and letters) is RR363.  So, I went
out of my way to get RR363.  Pretty stuff in a Castrol can etc. etc.  Used it,
no
problems.  Then I did some checking.  It has been a while, so I don't remember
where these resources are, but there is a clear indication that RR363 is simply
DOT3 brake fluid put in a can, and at a premium price.  Checking with the
citroen
shops they indicate that any brake fluid can be used in my system, but not
mineral
oil (the later citroens used that).  So, I now use Castrol GT LMA DOT4 brake
fluid
- easily available, and not too expensive.  I don't drive the car a lot, but I
also don't have any hydraulic leaks or bad seals.  For what its worth, it may
pay
a lot to do some checking - I was satisfied with the checking I did a couple
years
back.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
66 Land Rover 88
66 Citroen DS21 Pallas
67 MGB
69 Porsche 911T targa - now with a soft rear window
75 Jaguar XJ12C
52 MG-TD Replicar - VW based