Re: Different Brake Fluid Twist

To: Mike Denman <mikedenman@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Different Brake Fluid Twist
From: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:12:41 -0800
mikedenman@earthlink.net said:
>  I don't pretend to be the ultimate authority but... I work on
> Airplanes and have always understood that substituting auto brake
> fluid for the aviation fluid (Mil spec. 5606A) was a short cut to seal
> failure.  Is the opposite also true?

I don't know either, but it seems to me to be really silly to try to save a
buck or two on your airplane, violate a federal reg and risk death.

As for Rolls-Royces, I happen to know about this since my daily driver is a
1966 T-series Bentley (A Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow with "Rolls-Royce"
scratched out and "Bentley" written on it in crayon).

The **ONLY** brake fluid approved for use in a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow or
Shadow II (approximately 1965-1980) is Castrol RR-363.  ANY OTHER FLUID will
eat your seals, corrode your pipes, and cause premature brake failure.

Similarly, the Silver Spur and Silver SPirits (1980 to today) must use
a specially formulated mineral oil (it may be drived from MS5606A (or the RAF
equivalent) but I'm not sure).

It is important to remember that the brake system in these cars is not like
that in other vehicles; they operate at 3000 PSI, from engine-driven hydraulic
pumps with nitrogen-filled pressure accumulators.  These are power brakes with
REAL POWER.  Ordinary brake fluid will not stand up to this, will break down
and then eat the seals.  A complete hydraulic system overhaul by an authorized
shop (and NEVER let anyone who doesn't understand the systems work on it!) can
run over $20,000.

Needless to say, I carry an unopened container of RR-363 in my boot at all
times.