Re: Different Brake Fluid Twist

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Subject: Re: Different Brake Fluid Twist
From: Berry Kercheval <berry@kerch.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:46:40 -0800
Well, I don't know much about Citroens, but I know my Bentley's brake system
is covered by some Citroen patents.  I do know that RR363 has increased shear
strength so that it doesn't break down under the high pressures  in these
systems.   COnventional fluids, including Castrol GT LMA DOT-4 (an otherwise
excellent product I use in my OTHER cars) just don't hack it.  A letter from
Castrol in a back issue of the RR Owner's club newsletter clearly stated that
RR363 was not a conventional brake fluid and that conventional brake fluids
CAN NOT BE SUBSTITUTED SAFELY.  I figure Castrol oughta know.

And frankly, when you have an "exotic" car like a Citroen or Bentley or
Rolls-Royce, I don't see any percentage in using other than the recommended
fluids. Compared to the value of the car, and the cost of repairs, the cost of
brake fluid is trivial.  I suggest you don't skimp here.

Citroens could be different; I'll admit that.  But I suspect not.

One more point; Phil, you say you don't drive the Citroen a lot. With RR and
Bentley cars with these modern brake systems, the worst thing you can do is
let teh car sit.  I've seen '66 Shadows with 12000 miles and shot seals, and
there's another '66 Shadow locally that's done over 400,000 miles, with only
scheduled maintenance on the brakes, and it's doing fine.  Drive your car
regularly, please.